Patagonia Torrentshell 3L
Best Rain Jacket on the Market
There’s no doubt that wet weather can make your hiking and camping more challenging but with the right mindset and the right gear you can still have a thrilling outdoor experience. If you’re committed to getting away from it all and spending time in nature, wet weather is no reason to cancel your hike.
And with the right rain jacket, you have one less thing to be concerned about.
We recommend the Torrentshell 3L by Patagonia.
The Patagonia Torrentshell 3L is tried and tested, besting all other rain jackets on the market. Durable, breathable and extremely waterproof, it will keep you dry through any downpour. It’s unpretentious with a clean and sleek design.
The jacket has three layers, hence the 3L in the name. The three layers are part of what makes this product so durable. The water-resistant outer coating protects its wearer from rain and snow (though we haven’t had a chance to test the latter). This versatile jacket can be used on a day hike or longer backpacking trips. It folds snugly and can be fitted into one of its side pockets, making it highly portable.
And for the style-conscious, the jacket comes in 12 different colours.
Patagonia is a leader in producing sustainable products and the Torrentshell 3L is blue-sign approved, which means it is safe for the environment, workers and customers. The jacket is also Fair Trade Certified.
Tips for Backpacking in the rainy season
1. Stock up on your rainwear including waterproof or water-resistant clothing, shoes and bags
2. Pack some extra clothes just in case, but don’t overload your bag
3. Keep electronics like your phone and camera in a waterproof case or bag
4. Consider trekking poles for those extra slippery surfaces, even if your shoes have great traction
5. Avoid cotton and instead, go for wool and synthetic fabrics
6. If you’re camping pitch your tent on higher ground and avoid low lying areas
Hiking Spots to Consider in Zambia