Fig Tree Bush Camp
Tucked away in one of the most uncharted parts of Kafue National Park, Fig Tree Bush Camp comprises four tented chalets elevated on 3-metre-high platforms. Three of these offer outstanding views over the Shishamba River, while the fourth faces grassy plains and a waterhole. All four provide tantalising game viewing without you even having to leave your tent!
Fig Tree Bush Camp, nestled deep within the most untouched part of Kafue National Park, is named after the humongous fig tree at the centre of its dining boma. The exclusive, luxurious tented camp overlooks a large lagoon, one of the many formed seasonally along the Shishamba River, leaving resplendent sandy beaches along its length. Fig Tree Bush Camp has one such beach of its own, providing the perfect location for guests to star-gaze beneath the illustrious African night sky, as the calls from the stirring nocturnal animals are carried through the night’s breeze, creating an orchestra of sounds all around.
Fig Tree Bush Camp also has a ‘starbed’ which is on a 4-meter platform, completely open with a bathroom on the first floor. The purpose of the starbed, is as the name implies, to marvel at the stars.
The sprawling area around Fig Tree Bush Camp is one of the most prolific game areas in Kafue National Park. Home to a highly diverse selection of game, some of the highlights you are almost sure to experience (but not limited to) are the rare and elusive blue duiker and the defassa waterbuck and Lichtenstein’s wildebeest. At the same time, Sharpe’s grysbok are often found grazing amongst the zebra, impala and the mighty elephant.
Where there’s a healthy prey base, an equally healthy predator base is always sure to follow! Sightings of predators such as lions, leopards, cheetahs, servals and wild dogs are all common features during your stay with Fig Tree. For the avid birdwatcher, the park is home to over 500 recorded bird species, including the black-cheeked lovebird, Pel’s fishing owl and the Chaplin’s barbet (Zambia’s only endemic species).
● Game drives offer the perfect game viewing occasions, available twice daily, one in the morning departing at sunrise and one in the evening, which rolls into a night safari.
● Walking safaris are the ultimate safari adventure for those looking to get an intimate view of nature, accompanied by experienced tour guides to canvas the vast plains of untouched wilderness.
● Get up close and personal with the hippos and crocs as you experience Kafue by boat on a river cruise or a fishing trip (from Mukambi Safari Lodge).
● Enjoy a relaxing dip and cool off in the Camp’s infinity pool, which overlooks the waterhole.
The Camp offers 3 choice menu for dinner plus a fixed menu for lunch. A full English breakfast is also served, complete with pastries and your choice of tea or coffee.
Open only during the safari season (May to November), your luxury safari adventure options with Mukambia Safaris range from the full Kafue experience, which includes staying at Mukambi Safari Lodge, Fig Tree Bush Camp and Busanga Bush Camp. You can also choose to stay at just one of their holiday destinations or take the opportunity to work with Mukambi Safaris to tailor an individual safari experience like no other, just for you!
Offering a unique getaway in an undiscovered part of Kafue National Park, with over 22,000 km2 of unspoilt parkland to explore, you’re in for a truly memorable experience at Fig Tree Bush Camp. Fig Tree Bush Camp is just an hour’s drive from the main lodge, Mukambi Lodge.
What to experience
- Untamed nature in the most untouched part of Kafue National Park
- Game viewing experiences in one of Zambia’s richest wildlife areas
- Luxury tented accommodation
- Spectacular views of the Shishamba River
- An invigorating dip in Fig Tree’s infinity pool overlooking the waterhole
Booking and contact details
+260 (0) 974 424 013
Proflight sister company, ProCharter, operates charter flights into Kafue National Park. Visit www.procharterzambia.com to learn more about making your bookings.